Discover the Origin is a campaign which is designed to raise awareness around five key European PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) products; Parma Ham, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, Burgundy Wines, Port and Douro Valley wines.
It also aims to educate on the benefits of the provenance indicator schemes, the relevant checks, controls and traceability systems that are put in place to ensure ongoing quality and to differentiate the products and raise their profiles.
The main message is that all five of these products carry a guarantee of their provenance and quality: the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) for Parma Ham and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, AOC for Burgundy wines and DOC for Port and Douro Valley wines. If you see these labels on any food or drinks, you can rest assured that you will be rewarded with excellent quality.
For more information go to www.discovertheorigin.co.uk
And here is a fab Super Food Salad recipe using Parma Ham.
Super Food Salad: Parma Ham and Broad Bean Salad with Edamame Bean, Pomegranate, Pumpkin Seeds and a Lemon and Basil Dressing served with a white Burgundy
2 medium pomegranates
250 g podded broad beans
250 g edamame beans
8 Parma Ham slices
handful of pumpkin seeds
For the dressing
2 tablespoons Pommery mustard
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 basil leaves, very thinly sliced (save 12 whole basil leaves for a salad garnish)
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil, add the broad beans and edamame beans and blanch for about 2 minutes until they are tender. Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water.
2. For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Heat a tiny drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan and fry the Parma Ham slices until golden brown and crisp, turning once.
4. Take a large serving bowl and toss the broad beans and edamame beans in with the pumpkin seeds and inside of the pomegranates and toss together with the dressing.
5. Break the crispy Parma ham into smaller pieces and scatter over the salad.